Rental Quick Search
Long Term Rentals
Green Travel Tips
Before You Leave Home
- Turn your water heater to the lowest setting.
- Turn off AC/heat or adjust the thermostat to protect plants, etc.
- Turn water off at outside connection (to prevent flooding should a pipe break while you're gone). When you return, turn on the water slowly and check for problems.
- Appliances, such as TVs and cable converter boxes, should be unplugged because they can draw or "leak" as much as 40 watts per hour even when they're off.
- Turn icemaker off (lift wire) to prevent flooding should it break while you're away.
- Stop your newspaper. You may be able to donate it to a local school.
Preparing for Green Travel
- Purchase Electronic Tickets (E-Tickets) for airline travel whenever possible. Less waste. If paper tickets are lost, they may cost $75-100 to have replaced.
- Enjoy walking tours. Walk where sensible.
- Use public transportation when available.
- Use the bus or local transit system. Share taxis. Less pollution, and you can leave the driving to others.
- If you're driving, turn your motor off when idling. Encourage tour/bus drivers to turn the motor off when idling.
- Don't allow anything to be thrown out of your car windows—ever.
Things to Do at the Resort
- To keep track of which bath towel belongs to which family member, pack a handful of safety pins and small colored beads. Attach a pin and bead to each towel, using a designated color for each family member. Remove the pins before checkout.
- Reduce the amount of water used for bathing or showering.
- Do not run the linens and towels through the unit washer & dryer prior to check-out.
- Our thermostats are locked at a comfortable setting. We will unlock them on request.
- When you leave your unit, turn off the lights, TV and radio. Close the drapes.
- Carry a dry cleaning or grocery bag with you in which to carry dirty laundry home.
- Leave little bottles of amenities in the unit if unopened.
- Keep bar soap wrappers and take used bars of soap home.
- Instead of leaving bathroom lights (and fans) on all night, pack night lights.
- If you purchase a newspaper, pass it on to someone else.
- Help reduce paper by allowing us to email your confirmation and receipts.
Green Tips for the Tourist
- Take only the brochures or maps necessary. Return others to the brochure stand.
- Take only photographs. Do not take "souvenirs" from natural areas or historical areas.
- Leave only footprints. Take everything out that you brought with you. No graffiti, no litter.
- Support conservation programs.
- Pick up at least one piece of litter every day - especially at national tourist locations which are vulnerable to huge tourist populations.
- Take photos with a digital camera. Disposable cameras are very wasteful and expensive.
- Expensive cosmetic bags are unnecessary and often do not prevent or control spills. Use zippable plastic bags for cosmetics. Separate bath needs and makeup needs.
- Rather than buying small size toothpaste tubes, squeeze some toothpaste into a clean contact lens case or contact lens cleaning capsule. Be sure to mark appropriately.