Home of the ESPN Winter X Games for more than a decade, and voted #1 by Transworld Snowboarding Magazine Reader's Poll for best pipe and park, Buttermilk built its 60-year legacy on wide-open and gently rolling trails that cater to beginners and families. While experts frolic in the terrain park, the rest of the family can cruise on the wide, rolling trails. Perfectly groomed slopes, gentle powder and glades, combined with a great ski/snowboard school and a 22-foot superpipe in the legendary terrain park, make Buttermilk a secret gem.
If you want a true ski-in/ski-out experience at Buttermilk, check out The Inn at Aspen Hotel. Ski in to The Inn at Aspen Hotel, located at the base of Aspen’s Buttermilk Ski Area, Aspen's most family friendly of the four ski areas, with a larger percentage of beginner runs and the base for the Aspen Skiing Company's Ski School. This Aspen hotel is just minutes (2 miles) from the vitality of downtown Aspen and Snowmass village (5 miles).
- Season Dates: Buttermilk Mountain opens December 14 for the 2013/2014 Ski Season.
- Lift Hours: 9am to 3:30pm
- Base Elevation: 7,870 ft / 2,399 m
- Summit Elevation: 9,900 ft / 3,018 m
- Vertical Rise: 2,030 ft / 619 m
- Terrain: 470 acres/190 hectares
- Number of Trails: 44
- Miles/km of Trails: 21 miles / 34 km
- Longest Run: 3 miles / 4.83 km
- Steepest Run: Go-Go Gully, Highland Bowl – slope angle of 48 degrees
- Types of Trails: Easiest: 35%, More Difficult: 39%, Most Difficult: 26%, Expert: 0%
- Annual Snowfall: 200 inches / 508 cm
- Snowmaking: 108 acres / 44 hectares
- Lifts (9): 2 high-speed quads, 3 doubles, 2 handle tows, 2 ski/snowboard school lifts
- Lift Capacity: 7,500 riders/hour
- Best Known For: ESPN Winter X Games, which will be held at Buttermilk through 2012! The terrain park and X Games superpipe. Beginner terrain makes Buttermilk an excellent learning mountain for new skiers and snowboarders. Unsurpassed grooming.
- Best-kept Secret: Long, wide groomers at West Buttermilk and steeper rolling runs at Tiehack.
- What's New: Separate beginner terrain park on Larkspur. Host of the Aspen/Snowmass Open slopestyle and superpipe competition.
- Location: Within the White River National Forest, 3 miles from downtown Aspen, 6 miles from Snowmass